During homogeneous strain, translation components may vary from point to point in a material, but the distortion and rotational components are the same from point to point. Hence, in homogeneous strain,
1. Straight lines remain straight
2. Parallel lines remain parallel
3. All points in the body have the same values of strain in a given direction
During inhomogeneous or heterogeneous strain, both translation and rotation components may vary from point to point in a material, and hence the overall distortion is complex. Therefore,
1. Originally straight lines become curved,
2. Initially parallel lines become non-parallel and
3. All points in the body have different values of strain in a given direction or in all directions.